“Sure, Facebook can be a great tool for keeping up with folks who are important to you. Take the status update, the 160-character message that users post in response to the question, “What’s on your mind?” An artful, witty or newsy status update is a pleasure — a real-time, tiny window into a friend’s life.
But far more posts read like navel-gazing diary entries, or worse, spam. A recent study categorized 40 percent of Twitter tweets as “pointless babble,” and it wouldn’t be surprising if updates on Facebook, still a fast-growing social network, break down in a similar way.”
Worth the click and read. Seriously.
Randall Munroe is so clever, witty, and makes me laugh so hard, I would marry him in a drop of a hat. There, I said it.
There was a time when being ‘famous on the internet,’ wasn’t something you’d tell your parents about. These days, top bloggers are becoming increasingly famous, influential and seriously paid. Sure you can wait for the traffic on your little blogspot page to pick up and hope to become a fixture on everyone’s preferred reader, or you can just dress up like one of the best. Even you can be Mr. TechCrunch himself, the Queen of all Media or the Agent of Change with these fun printable masks.
Drawings by Jenni Chasteen
Wow. These are the scariest, weirdest, creepiest, most unfortunate things. Ever. via @JessicaRandazza
Unplanned NSFWness and a tad crass…how could I not post this? ;) #MondayInappropriateness
Google Japan made a Chrome Commercial. Wow.
Remember how I pissed off the maker of the most disgusting looking homemade sushi mess? Well – surprise! These sushi cupcakes look good enough to eat, serve, and well… show-off. Actually, they are quite phenomenal and as awesome as the iPhone cupcakes.
Vivian of vpennyw made these cupcakes for John – her bf? husband? oh, who cares, these things are EFin amazing and whoever John is, is a very very VERY lucky man.
From her blog:
“Pretty much vanilla and lemon cupcakes and vanilla frosting… then black/green fondant for seaweed… and coconut or white sprinkles for “rice”..
As for the toppings..
Jellybeans for the “eggs” (upper right)
a piece of lemon cake for the Tamago (Egg) Roll (lower Right),
A mini marshmallow, a few sour straws, and pieces of gummy worms for the California Roll, (upper middle),
A cut berry gummy for the Tuna Roll (lower middle),
Cut-up orange gummy slices for the Salmon (upper left)
Cut-up peach gummies for Tuna (middle left)
And Food-color-spray-painted marshmallows for the Shrimp (lower left)…”
When I first came across the headline: “Woman Gets Confusing Box of LEGO Parts” via Geekologie, I thought: What a bunch of dramatic people. It’s EFin LEGO, figure it out. When I opened the page, I understood.
From afar, the left picture should be a representative of happy. It’s simply a family of LEGO mini fig(mini figures)s dressed in a cacophony of happy colors. Pinks, blues, whites, baby blues – normally hues of rainbows, butterflies, unicorns, cup cakes, and whatever else makes a person feel warm and fuzzy.
Completely and utterly harmless – right?
Take a look at this:
What ARE those? What characters do they represent? Were they leftovers? Factory rejects? Seriously, why would the LEGO rep put together “an army of angry LEGO mini fig cross-dressers” and send it the The Bloggess? That up there is beyond a LEGO WTF. It is a box of mini fig TRAUMA.
Farewell sweet childhood memories.
(ps: Thank you, The Bloggess, for the biggest laugh in a while. These fuckers randomly popped in my mind this morning, swore I re-blogged a while back, but couldn’t find it in my archives so I’m posting it now. This is PURE GOLD)
Recently, I’ve taken a slight fascination to waffles – only slight, since my number one breakfast food of choice is bacon, of course. But man, this little penguin waffle maker gives me incentive into becoming a… waffle connoisseur?
Oh, who am I kidding. These are just cute. And I want them because I love penguins, and I want my breakfast waffles to… march!
More pictures after the jump. link -Thanks, Andypandybearatelo! :) Oh, and please excuse the excessive parentheses in the title. Today is a parentheses kind of day!
So. much. awesome.
Will you beam me to NYC, CNN please? :)
From November 6th to the 15th Verizon is hiding BlackBerry Storm clues around the city. Using a map, you find a location, zoom in to get a visual clue, and text the answer to Verizon… Not sure what that means since the full details aren’t on the site (yet). I mean… can we do it virtually? Do we physically have to be there? OMG Do I need to book a flight back to NYC? So. many. questions! But I will be checking the site daily.
I was leaning towards an Android phone but sh*t, free is free. Plus Easter Egg hunts like these are BAD ASS!!
Ok, this is an emergency: “HEAD OVER TO GIZ STAT” post. Gizmodo put together a LEGO Mini-fig timeline — with a gallery. I have been mesmerized for the past 15 minutes. Seriously. Jesus Diaz (my FAVORITE Gizmodo writer) is my hero.
Take a look at this (points below)
I found this on FriendFeed via Russell. OMG this TOTALLY rules. It’s also hilarious copyright is in 1999, but the flow still applies. LOL.
Now I’m itching to write about my online dating experiences… Can we say nightmare and a half? haha Anyway, click on the image for a larger version. :)
Hilarious. On ALL sortsa levels. HAHA
Follow these tips, and whether it’s your first time or your second time, they’ll make for a better post-coitus experience…
- Act like you’ve been there before – You’ve seen enough movies where the geek gets the girl, in fact those are probably your favorite genre of movie even surpassing comic-book superhero adaptations. High fives and end zone dances are amateurish. Show some class.
- Don’t post video – I know it’s tempting to post the secret webcam video you took of the event when someone asks for proof, but this could result in you being a recently-broken up geek when he or she finds the video. Or the recently-beaten to death geek which would be much worse.
- Stay in bed for at least ten minutes after – The guys in the guild will understand if you’re late for the raid on Blackwing Lair, but you might not get that kind of understanding from your partner.
- Facebook Status – Post-coitus don’t change your Facebook status to “<ME> has recently orgasmed.” You’ve probably friended your mom or your boss or your sister and they really don’t need that information.
- Save the rating for later – No matter how great it was, don’t tell him/her “5 stars. Would boink again!!!!” Save that for the nearly empty private journal you’ve been keeping since high school.
- Waste Disposal – Don’t forget drop the used condom in the Aperture Science Emergency Condom Incinerator before leaving. It takes away the worry about unexpected discovery by a third party, and keeps your room smelling of moldy pizza instead of, well, sex.
- Stop the Science Talk – People don’t want to hear about the biology, physics, or mathematics of what just happened. Save that for your thesis.
So spill. Anyone guilty of one of those offenses?
Don’t worry — your secret’s safe with me. ;)